Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins


Book One- The Hunger Games

"In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to  appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.
When sixteen-year-old Katness Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature."

I've seen this book around but was never interested in it 'til I saw the trailer for the movie and didn't understand what it was about. After picking it up I was unable to put it down. Once I had finished it I started reading the second book of the series. The only issue I see with this book is the violence, it's all about children killing children. 

Book Two- Catching Fire

"Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark are still alive. Katniss should be relieved, but now there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
As the nation watches Katniss and Peeta, the stakes are higher than ever. One false move and the consequences will be unimaginable."

Catching Fire had me sitting on the edge of my seat as I cheered on Katniss and Peeta and I became fascinated with the new characters that were introduced. I was in complete shock over the ending but didn't have an issue since this one was not kid on kid violence.

Book Three- Mockingjay

"Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans - everyone except Katniss.
And yet she must play the most vital part in the final battle. Katniss must become their Mockingjay -  the symbol of the rebellion -  no matter what the personal cost."

For the most part I found this one boring, and the way the Capitol's children and Katniss's sister where murder to be way over the top. Everyone likes a little violence but no one likes seeing or reading about it being done to children. Of all three books this one was the most depressing and the most let down of them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment